Sunday, April 10, 2011

Spring prep

Spent most of the weekend working on the boat, which I pulled in front of the house for the weekend. 

Saturday:  First I pulled the tabernacle, jib & genoa tracks, forward hatch, and the halyard cleats off.  That went ok except that I discovered the hard way that the genoa cars are full of little plastic bearings.  I don't have a clue how to put them back in, so I sent an email to Garhauer.  The weird thing is that the top doesn't have bearings, just the bottom.  The top has a plastic skid of some sort.

After I pulled all the hardware I drilled the holes oversized (5/16) and then hit them all with the dremel & router bit.  Taped the bottoms of the holes for epoxying.  The only problem area was the Tabernacle.  I needed to remove the compression post and it just didn't want to come out.  By the time I was done the inside and outside of the boat were both a mess.

Knocked off around 5:00 PM.  Stopped at Home Depot in search of glue syringes.  Guess what . . they don't sell them without glue in them already!

Sunday:  Started out in search of glue syringes at Coastal Farm.  Got 3, 2 medium and one big one.  Back at the boat I vacuumed up the worst of the mess and filled most of the holes with epoxy.  The online folks at TSBB came through and clued me in on using a bottle jack & board to push up the cabin top and release the compression post.  Worked great!  I finished up a few holes that needed to be drilled, then filled the remaining holes with epoxy.  I'll give it a couple days to set up good, and then I can start drilling new holes.

Need to sort out the hardware and make a run to Robnett's to get new stainless bolts & screws.  That will be entertaining. 

No comments:

Post a Comment