Saturday, May 14, 2011

First 2 sails of the year!

On Tuesday night (5/12) Zach and I went down to the boat for our first sail of the year.  I also tried out the new GoPro video camera which worked great.

Things went surprisingly well for a shake down cruise.  No major issues, though the jib halyard did get popped loose once. 

The wind came up much stronger than the 8-9 mph forecast.  We had about 20 minutes of 35-40 degree heel, then it let up.  It was a hoot but showed that I needed to tighten the lower shrouds.



Today Deborah and I went down to the lake to particpate in Youth Sailing Day.  Committed Partners for Youth, which is apparently similar to Big Brother/Big Sister came down with a bunch of kids and their mentors.  After a burger/hot dog lunch we took Felicia (10) and Amanda out for a sail.  Felicia had never been on a boat and Amanda had never sailed.  They seemed to have fun, even though the weather was pretty cloudy and cool.  We spent about an hour sailing, then went back to the dock.  I put the new tiller on after we were done.  Looks great and it clears my knees!

No comments:

Post a Comment